Friday 18 March 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

Icing in England for the first time in his career, Billingham’s impressive import Dennis Boström shares his views on life in the NIHL, derby day rivalries and why he chose to sign for the Stars.

What has been your highlight this season?

Well, I must say the Swedish night against Sheffield Spartans. There were so many things that happened that night. Great job from everyone making that night perfect for the Billingham club. It was a bonus that we did a good game for the big crowd that night and, for myself, it was of course fun to score a hat trick on just that night too.

What has been your biggest disappointment?

My biggest disappointment is that the team and myself have done a few bad games when we really needed to win and that put us in a bad place in the league now with two games left. We have to not just win against the top two teams, we also need results from other games. I think that we should be in the playoffs but how we have played some games this year, we don’t deserve that spot unfortunately.

What is it like to play for Billingham Stars in NIHL North, having played in both Sweden and Norway?

First of all, it’s different hockey here, some different rules, but the league I played in Sweden and Norway were a better level. But I thought it would be a bigger difference. I’m surprised by the league and all the interest for hockey here in North England. It’s better than I expected.

What do you think about the North East of England?

I would lie if I said Stockton where I live is the most beautiful place but it’s close to many cities so I’ve been to most places around here and I like them all.

Is there anything that you particularly like or dislike about British culture?

Weather is a big difference. Here, it’s rain and back in Sweden, it’s snow instead. Honestly, I think Sweden is a more beautiful country but some places, like I said, are really nice here too. I’ve never been in GB before I came here in August and I’ve been in England, Scotland and Ireland and I like all the places.

Is it difficult playing ice hockey in another country when your family are back in Sweden?

I don’t think that’s a problem. I did that last year too. Of course you miss them and it’s always good to have family close but we talk every week and they have been here on visit, and I was home on Christmas, so I can’t say there is any problem with that.

What made you want to play ice hockey for Billingham Stars and have you enjoyed your first season playing ice hockey in England?

I wanted to try something new and Billingham in England was one of the offers I had and I took it. It was kind of a chance I took because I had no clue what I signed really but it turned out great and I have had a very good year with many new experiences. All the lads and people around hockey have taken care of me so yes, I have enjoyed it very much.

Which players for Billingham Stars have impressed you this season?

I’m going to choose three players and it’s Chris Sykes, James Moss and James Flavell. I played with both Sykesy and Mossy and I like to play with them both. They have great hands, good shot and can read the game very well and they have made my job easier on the ice. Flav is, in my opinion, the best goalie in the league and for sure one of our most important players.

Which players from the opposition have caught your attention?

Of GB players, Brittle, Bentham and Soar caught my attention and of course, lots of the other imports in the league.

You’ve accumulated forty seven points this season, scoring an outstanding thirty one goals and tallying sixteen assists to date, to become Billingham’s top points scorer. How does it feel to contribute goals week after week?

Like I said, it is one higher level in the leagues I played in so that gives me more time to use my shot here, so I have taken advantage of that and that’s the main reason, I think, for my thirty one goals.

You played junior ice hockey with IF Björklöven from the under 16 league to the J18 Allsvenskan. What did you enjoy most about junior ice hockey and were there any difficulties that you had to overcome?

I played for IF Björklöven from twelve years old to twenty. We had a really good junior team with many talented players from 12 to J18, one of the best teams in Sweden in those years. After that, many players were moving to other teams so we lost many great players. We finished fifth in Sweden Championship U16 and ninth in J18, I think it was, so they were great years for me and my team.

You have played for Tegs SK in Division One, the third tier of ice hockey in Sweden. What was that like in comparison to IF Björklöven?

I played for Björklöven senior team, my last year as a junior, so I got to see how that was before I went to play for Tegs SK. It’s the same city but Björklöven is the biggest team and have been a very known hockey team in Sweden for many years. But in Teg, I got the chance to more ice time and it was three good years for me before I went to Norway.

In 2014, you played for Norwegian team Narvik Hockey who were also known as the Arctic Eagles? How did this differ from the Swedish leagues?

It was a minimal step down in level, I think. Norway’s league is getting better and better. They can have seven imports playing in the team every game and here it’s just two so that’s a big difference between Norway and GB league. Sweden’s highest and second leagues are still a lot better than Norwegian leagues. Norway is a very beautiful and expensive country, like Sweden, but more expensive and more mountains.

You face another derby game against Whitley Warriors on Sunday. What do you think of the rivalry between the Stars and the Warriors?

It’s one of the funniest games in this league. Big crowd and the rivalry makes it even more fun to play, make a hit or score a goal.

What has been the greatest achievement of you career and do you have any regrets about your time in the sport?

I have some good achievements but the thing I’m most happy about is that I took the chance to play somewhere else in Sweden. That has made me a better hockey player and I also learn and see so much new things on and off the ice. No regrets at all, still love the sport.

Are there any other leagues you would like to play in as you continue to progress as an ice hockey player?

I would like to try some other leagues in Europe. I have some friends now in France, that’s one. Maybe some league in America too.

Realistically, do you think Billingham Stars can make the playoffs?

It will be a tough one but when we still have a chance, it doesn’t matter how small it is. Of course I’m always going to believe in my team.

Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

In NHL, of course, or Dubai Mighty Camels, as long as I play for the good game and still have fun. Ha, ha!

Thank you to Dennis for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.


No comments:

Post a Comment