Wednesday 2 March 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

Having left Hillheads in 2012, returning Warrior Shaun Kippin shares his views with NIHL Northern Trio on his switch back to the Moralee Conference, working with David Longstaff and his future hopes of silverware…

You returned to Whitley Warriors in September after a season away from ice hockey. What made you want to return and how does it compare to previous seasons?

I had last season out due to shoulder surgery and it was always my intention to play for the Warriors again. This season has been completely different to any season I have played. I would say we are more of a professional outfit now and the difference in crowd sizes is unbelievable. I remember when we were lucky to get one hundred fans through the door but this season has been very special and a big reason why we have a good home record is the large crowd support.

What has been your highlight this season?

The away win in Billingham was a personal highlight. It’s been quite a few years since we have won away at Billingham and we were missing a few top players.

What has been your greatest disappointment so far?

Every time we have lost points. I think when you look at the league table and think about the points we dropped, you always think we should have gotten more from that game. The draws at home to Blackburn and Billingham stand out.

Since taking three seasons away from the NIHL’s Division One, has much changed since you had last played in the Moralee Conference?

The standard has improved massively. Every team has at least one import and more EPL players have dropped down which has raised standards.

You are the Warriors’ sixth highest points scorer at present. Are you happy with your contribution to date?

My aim at the start of the season was to be in the top five. I am disappointed with point production this season but, as long as the team is playing well and winning games, I am happy.

As a new addition to the team this season, how have you found working with fellow newcomers Andre Payette, Joe Stamp and Stu Tomlinson?

Andre has been a great addition to the team. His positive attitude and experience has been a big help to the dressing room. I have been very impressed with Joe this season. He hasn’t played hockey for a number of years but he fitted in straight away and he has been one of our top performers this season. Unfortunately, Stu’s season was cut short by injury but hopefully he will be back next season.

What has it been like to be coached by David Longstaff?

Yeah, it’s been great being coached by David. He really has pushed me to be a better player this season. I’ve been lucky to always have good coaches everywhere I have played.

You started out with Sunderland Arrows before playing in Whitley’s junior set up. What made you want to play ice hockey and what were the positives and negatives of playing the sport you loved?

I started off at Durham when I was seven, then moved to Sunderland a few years later. My next door neighbour owned the Durham team. I went to one game and I was hooked. I think one of the major positives of the sport is the comradery you get with playing on a team is like nothing else. The negative side is the lack of funding and exposure for the game.

This is the ninth season you have iced with the Warriors. In that time, which opposition is the toughest you have faced?

The toughest team would have to be Fife Flyers just after they left the BNL. They retained most of their team and dominated the league.

Which players are the best you’ve worked alongside?

I have worked alongside a lot of great players. My three standouts would be Kevin Conway, Simon Leach and David Longstaff. I would also say Callum Queenan is one of the best up and coming youngsters I’ve played alongside.

Which has been your favourite season with the Warriors?

The first year we won the league in our 2010 season. We were seven points behind Nottingham in January and came back to win the league and playoffs.

In the past, you were given the captaincy role for the Warriors and more recently were alternate captain for Deeside Dragons. Did you enjoy these roles of responsibility and would you ever consider taking on a leadership role again?

Any time you get to captain your team, it’s an honour but we have a good leadership group here already and, as a senior player, I try to be a leader on and off the ice and give advice where I can to the younger guys on the team.

You moved to NIHL 2 to play for Deeside Dragons, becoming the team’s top points scorer in their 2013-14 season. Is there a large difference in the competition between the Moralee and Laidler Conferences? 

I think the Laidler Conference has improved over the years. You only have to look at our league table and see Solihull and Telford are third and fourth in the table [as of last week]. It will be interesting to see my old team Deeside in the Moralee next year.

In the 2012-13 campaign, Deeside loaned you to EPL side Telford Tigers for two games. How was that experience?

It was a really good experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We lost both games but I was given lots of ice time…probably why we lost!

Finally, what do you consider to be your greatest achievement in a Warriors’ shirt and is there anything you’d still like to achieve in your ice hockey career in the future?

My greatest achievement would be the back-to-back league and playoff years and my future aspirations would be to win as much silverware as possible.

Thank you to Shaun Kippin for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio. 


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment