Saturday 12 March 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk
Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

Now in his third season with Solway Sharks, valued forward Marc Fowley reflects on his season with the Dumfries outfit, also sharing his views on life in the Elite League, hockey imports and the great players he has worked with over the years.

What has been your highlight this season?

I think my highlight of the season would be beating Whitley back in October. After a slow start to our season, that win gave us belief that we could challenge any team in the league.

What has been your biggest disappointment?

My biggest disappointment would probably be our form at the start of the season. There was also the game in Telford where they managed to tie the game with only one second left. That was particularly gut-wrenching.

Solway had a tricky start but are getting ever closer to those playoff spots. Has the Sharks’ season surprised you at all?

I was surprised at how badly we started the season and I think we all had aspirations of having a better season than last year, which wasn’t a great season in terms of Solway’s recent history. Having said that, I am not overly surprised by our league position as I suspected that Blackburn would be strong again, Whitley would be much improved and that Telford and Solihull might have decent teams.

Are there any ways in which the Moralee Conference differs this season?

I think Whitley becoming title contenders, after playing for relegation last year, is a massive turnaround and credit to them for that. I also think the inclusion of Solihull and Telford has brought some variety so I imagine the fans have found the conference more entertaining than last year.

You currently play alongside many great players. Who has stood out for the Sharks this season?

I think rather than having a couple of standout players or high point scorers like some of the other teams in the league, we have a good core of players who all chip in with points. However, I would like to mention Kieran Hobbins. Some people questioned our goaltending before the season started, with Gary Russell joining Braehead, but Hobbins has really stepped up to the plate this year and is playing with confidence right now.

What is it like to work with imports Juraj Senko and Martin Cingel; what effect do imports have on NIHL hockey?

I think that the quality of imports in the league varies but we have two of the best. Senko quietly goes about his business while Cingy [Martin Cingel] has more of a leadership role and has been responsible for managing our powerplay. I think imports raise the quality and profile of the league. I don’t think the NIHL gets superstar imports that can singlehandedly win games. However, they bring professionalism and experience which can be absorbed by the young guys in the league.

You started out with North Ayrshire in the Scottish National League. What are the similarities and differences between the SNL and the NIHL?

From what I can remember, the Dundee Stars and Fife Flyers were playing in the SNL at that time, following the demise of the BNL, and they pretty much dominated the league. The teams in the Moralee Conference are more evenly matched. It wasn’t a great time for senior hockey in Scotland and, although there are more Scottish Elite League teams now, I would like to see a league with fewer imports again, similar to the BNL. Solway are lucky to be geographically close to the border and so are able to play in the NIHL which is currently a higher level than the SNL. For more Northern teams, that isn’t an option because of the travel involved.

You then went on to play for Paisley Pirates in the Northern League in 2007. Just how competitive was this league and which teams or players were considered to be the strongest?

The Northern League was formed out of the top SNL teams at the time, as well as English teams, most of which are now in the NIHL. Again, I remember Fife and Dundee dominating along with Solway while the other teams weren’t quite on the same level. There were many great players in that league like John Haig, John Dolan, Steven and Derek King, Dino Bauba, Todd Dutiaume, Iain Robertson, Andy Samuel, Bari McKenzie, Scott Plews…I could go on. I had the privilege to play alongside and learn from some of the best, and also win a title and playoff final with Fife.

You moved up into the Elite League with Fife Flyers. How did it feel to play at the highest level of the sport in Britain?

I really enjoyed my time at Fife. Kirkcaldy is such a hockey town and I would often get recognised in the street there which was nice. I was extremely excited when Todd [Dutiaume] asked me back to play in the Elite League. Braehead had also made me an offer that year but it was such a great group of guys in Fife, it was an easy decision to stay and I was proud to be the first Brit to score for the Flyers in the Elite League Era. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a great deal of ice time that year and so most of my Elite League experience came when I moved to Edinburgh.

What was the reason for your move to Edinburgh and in the two full seasons you were at the club, did you achieve everything you set out to?

When I left Fife, I signed with Solway who were playing in the ENL2 and Frazer Goldie was there on a two-way with Edinburgh. I spoke with Solway to see if this was an option and they were happy for me to do it. I paid for my own travel and equipment until the end of the year and managed to get some game time with Edinburgh and earned myself a full time contract for the next season. At Edinburgh, I learned a lot, particularly the European style of play as the coach and most of the imports were Euros. I got a good amount of ice time at Edinburgh but, when we had a full line-up, the local Brits would usually play ahead of me. The season I left Edinburgh, a couple of local guys left as well and so, I would often wonder if I had chosen to stay another year, if I would have had a more consistent place in the line-up. However, with the birth of my son and a full-time job, I decided the commitment required to continue in the Elite League was too much.
 
As you play out of Dumfries, is it difficult travelling across the country to play the sport you love every weekend?

It is pretty tiring and does probably put us at a slight disadvantage but travel comes part and parcel with the sport and so we are used to it. I also live about an hour and a half further north of Dumfries so even have to travel for practice but this has been the case with the last few teams I have played for. The worst part about all the travel is not being able to spend that time with my girlfriend and our son. Luckily with ice hockey, you get a long off-season to relax and spend time with family.

You are currently Solway’s second highest points scorer with twenty seven points. Are you happy with your performances this season and is points production something that you are interested in improving?

My game isn’t normally about points but more with doing the little things right and playing well defensively. Having said that, improving my points production was a definite goal for me this season and I think I have achieved that. Last season Martin [Grubb] used me in a more defensive role-something I was used to with Edinburgh. This year, I have mainly played on a scoring line and so I have had to adapt my game.

What is you greatest achievement in the sport and do you have any regrets?

I’d say my greatest achievement would be playing in the UK’s top league. My main regret would probably be not working on my puck handling enough as a kid. I worked so hard on my skating and that is probably my best asset but, if I had more confidence on the puck, I’d be a better player.

If you could name one area in which Solway should strengthen for next season, what would it be?

I think we have a good enough group this year but it took us a while to find form. Next year the team will have more success if the guys gel quicker at the start of the season.

What are your hopes for next season and where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

I hope to be back at Solway next year winning trophies! In five years’ time I’d like to think I would still be playing at a similar level but only if I can fit it in around supporting my son at whatever hobbies he chooses to do.


Thank you to Marc Fowley for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio. 


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.



No comments:

Post a Comment