Tuesday 9 February 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

Suffering a fractured pelvis in a pre-season exhibition game, Warrior Dean Holland talks about his battle back to full fitness and how changes at Hillheads have made an impact this season:

In Whitley Warriors pre-season exhibition game against Kirkcaldy Kestrels, you suffered a serious injury which left you watching from the side lines. Just how bad was the injury and did you ever think you would make it back into the Warriors’ line up so quickly?

Yeah, the injury was pretty bad. The worst injury I have had to date. At the time we thought I wouldn’t be playing until at least January. I came back a month early and maybe I shouldn’t have as I wasn’t really ready to play. Getting back into the line-up was always going to be tough as the team had played so well all year. I’m gradually finding my feet and starting to play in different situations again.

You’ve managed five goals and six assists in the ten games you have played. Do you feel that you are a long way off full fitness?

I still have a lot of work to do before I can get back to fitness. Lobby [David Longstaff] is teaching me to be in the right places at the right times with me not being back to full fitness.

What has been your highlight this season?

Personally, I don’t have any but as a team we are very pleased from the turnaround in results from last year.

What do you think the difference has been for the Warriors this campaign?

I think every player on the team has bought into the way Lobby wants us to play. Lobby explained at the start of the year that you might have to play out of position some nights. Your ice time may not be the same every night but everything has to be done; the team and everyone respected that.

In terms of results for the Warriors, which has been your biggest disappointment?

Anytime you lose it is always disappointing. I don’t have a game that we are very disappointed in. Maybe we just got outworked that night. Credit to the other team.

How has it been to work with player-coach David Longstaff and home alternate captain Andre Payette this season?

I’ve already played alongside Andre before at Newcastle. Great teammate, always providing a good atmosphere in the room. I played alongside Lobby most of my career. He’s a great coach and brings a lot to our team. He has a way to bring the best out of players.

You made your return to Whitley at the beginning of last season after a spell at Guildford Flames in the EPL. What prompted your decision to play for the Warriors again and how does the EPL compare to life in the NIHL?

I sort of knew I would be coming back home after my two years at Guildford. I already knew Simon Leach and spoke to him about playing back at the Warriors. For me, there was not much difference because I was still working when I played for the Flames, when I came home every week.

Having featured in both the EPL and the Elite League, how do you feel that your time playing in the highest tiers of British ice hockey has affected your game today?

Obviously it has helped a lot. Playing alongside some very good players is always going to improve your game by just taking notice of what they do and trying to take that into your game in certain situations.

Who have you enjoyed working with most this season and who are the big personalities in the dressing room?

Don’t really get much bigger than Andre but Jordan Barnes is a huge personality in the dressing room. He’s funny, he keeps the room upbeat and he makes it a fun place to be.

Which team do you feel are the most challenging to play against at present?

Blackburn are the best team in the league. They are definitely the hardest team to play against in their own rink. It’s suited to the way they play.

You were Warriors’ alternate captain prior to your injury. In your absence, David Longstaff opted to make Andre Payette and Jordan Barnes home alternate captains whilst Joe Stamp and Dan Pye take on the role when the Warriors are on the road. How successful do you feel this division of duties has been and is the role one you would like to resume at some point in the future?

I think all four have done a pretty good job leading the team. They all bring different qualities. It works, so why change it. It’s not something I would say affects my game.

What are your future hopes for the Warriors?

As long as the team does well and plays well. If we win, I don’t think many people care who scores the goals. Everyone likes to score, that’s obvious, but if you don’t and the team win, it’s not a big deal.


Thank you to Dean Holland for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio. 


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment