Tuesday 16 February 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia – Ian Hanlon
Starring in Billingham’s NIHL North Cup games this season, shot stopper Mark Watson discusses the Stars’ fluctuating form, the side's league rivals and what it is like to work alongside fellow netminder James Flavell:

What has been your highlight this season?

I think we’ve made hard work of a lot of games this season but the highlight for the team is probably a couple of tough road wins we have managed to pick up, especially against Solihull down at their place in January. Personally, I would say the good cup run that I’ve been involved in. We’ve managed to win three from three in the cup so we have a good chance at some silverware in that.

What has been your greatest disappointment?

It’s been disappointing that we’ve dropped points when we have dominated games. There’s been a few times when we have been on top and just managed to do everything but win the game. Also, maybe a lack of consistency has cost us this season but we’re still in with a great shot at the playoffs.

Billingham’s form has fluctuated of late. Why do you think there has been such a lack of consistency?

Injuries certainly have not helped, particularly when Flav [James Flavell] was out for a month or so. I was playing with an injured ankle for all of the games which wasn’t ideal and we’ve lost a few other guys at crucial times in the season. However, it shouldn’t be an excuse because we’ve got good strength in depth but, at times, just haven’t shown up to important games.

As the Stars’ second netminder, you’ve played in Billingham’s NIHL North Cup games and several league games. How have you found those this season?

Overall, they’ve been tough. The cup games I’ve been playing in have been going great but, in the league, there have been some really disappointing games for me personally and for the team.

In your opinion who has stood out for the Stars this season?

Dennis [Boström] has been a good addition to the team and has played well on that first line. Cal Davies is always dependable and since Jamie Pattison has come back from injury, he’s been playing really well and keeping tight at the back.

Which of the opposition’s forwards have been most difficult to face?

[Adam] Brittle at Blackburn is always tough opposition to face but I’d say the most difficult forward is [Martin] Cingel from Solway. It’s clear to see why he’s a proven goal scorer in higher leagues.

What do you make of fellow ‘Northern Trio’ outfits Whitley Warriors and Solway Sharks this season?

The Warriors have been the most impressive out of every team in the league this season. Longstaff has got them organised and they are an incredibly hard team to beat, especially in their own rink. As for Solway, they started off really slow and surprised everyone by their position at the lower end of the league. However, they are still a quality team and will no doubt still fancy their chances for a playoff spot.

You started out in Newcastle Vipers junior set up, before moving on to play for both Whitley Tomahawks and Whitley Braves. What was it like to ice with those sides and who inspired you as a junior netminder?

I started way back in the Sunderland days when I was six. The under 10s didn’t have a goalie and I was the worst player so I went in goal! There was always the likes of Stephen Foster whose goalie schools I used to go to and I learnt a lot from him. I really enjoyed my junior career at Newcastle. We were never the best team in the league and I was always facing eighty or ninety shots a game which I think has helped to bring me on. I had a good couple of years at Whitley Bay as well in the Under 16s and Under 18s but I moved across to the then Northern Stars, when I was about fifteen or sixteen, due to an opportunity to be playing regular senior hockey.

Having played in this set up, do you have friends who play for local rivals Whitley Warriors at present and, if so, is it difficult when you return to Hillheads for derby games?

Yeah, just about everyone on the Stars team has friends they’ve played with on the Whitley team but when you get to the rink on Derby day, it’s purely about the hockey.

What is it like to work with netminder James Flavell? Have you learned anything from him over the years?

It’s great working alongside Flav. He’s the best goalie in the league and I’ve learnt a lot from him in the five years we’ve been there since the Stars began. We’ve always got on really well on and off the ice which is always important. Hopefully I’ll keep on picking things up from him and continue developing. I’m only twenty two so it’s good having another netminder here who I can still learn from.

How do you think your performances have been in net this season?

I’ve had a tough season this year. I’ll be the first to admit I haven’t had my best year. I’ve been playing injured since about November which hasn’t helped but we’ve had a few hard games when I’ve been in and, at times, it hasn’t all went to plan but there’s always still plenty of time to put a few good performances in like I have been doing in the cup.

To play ice hockey at this level, you must be dedicated as you manage training and games around work. What impact does the NIHL’s schedule have on your life?

Yeah, it’s hard work at times. I work shifts as well so I can only train every other week and I live in Gateshead which is quite far away. Getting back from training or games at 12:30am and up for work at 4:30am is hard but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t enjoy it. It is sometimes a lot, especially when we have two games on a weekend, but it’s all part of the game.

What has been your greatest achievement to date?

There’s been a few. Playing through the England teams at juniors was great and I’ve had some really good trips over to the likes of Quebec, Toronto and Prague. Also, winning the ENL playoffs against Invicta in 2007 for the ENL Vipers when I was thirteen and backing up Richie Lawson was great. Winning the double in our first year at Billingham was a great achievement.

The Stars are so close to a playoff spot. Do you think they can make it?

Yeah, we can definitely make it. We’ve got a huge weekend coming up. Four points is a must. If we can do that, and push on for the rest of the season, then hopefully we will be in the top four at the end of the season.

Finally, what are your future hopes for both yourself and the team?


In the near future, we’re hoping to obviously make the playoffs this season. As to further in the future, I think with a few additions over the summer and keeping the core of the team, we could, or should, be competing right at the top. Personally, I just hope to keep on improving and getting better at what I do and hopefully help Billingham to win some trophies!


Thank you to Mark Watson for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio. 


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.



No comments:

Post a Comment