Friday 15 January 2016

Team Talk

TEAM TALK

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

As one of Solway’s highest points scorers, Ross Murray has certainly made an impact for the Dumfries outfit this season. Here’s what the forward had to say when he took time to speak to NIHL Northern Trio this week:

What has been your highlight of the season so far?

Definitely the double header away in November [against the Spartans and Sutton Sting] where we won both games. When things aren’t going your way, it’s good to get away with the boys and do some team bonding.

What has been you greatest disappointment?

I would say the start of the season was disappointing. After a draw with an EPL side preseason, we looked like we had a young and hungry team but we got off to a slow start what’s hurt us a lot!

Why do you think Solway are where they are in the table now, having done so well in previous seasons?

It’s quite hard to find a reason why. I think it’s mostly down to younger guys like myself taking a bigger role in a team and just lacking that little bit of experience. And, I don’t like saying it, but we’ve had horrible luck this year, with injuries a big player, what never helps!

Who do you enjoy playing alongside most for Solway?

I don’t really mind who I play with but if I had to pick someone it would be Steven Moore. I’ve played in the same line as him since Scotland Under 18s. Just means we know where each other are on the ice, understand what each other are going to do without having to think about it.

What impact has Martin Cingel had on the Sharks?

He brings a lot of experience and a different look at things from playing at the top level for so long. He’s more than happy to show guys how to improve their game.

Has he shared any of his wisdom with you?

Unfortunately not! I’m beyond help!

What do you feel is Solway’s greatest strength this season?

I think it’s our offensive ability. We’ve always been a hard, fast skating team what helps us a lot.

What do you make of the league at present?

The league has definitely got better over the years. I feel you can’t take a night off in the league now everyone can beat everyone. As a player it makes it more fun to know that you’re always going to have a hard game. I would say Blackburn is the hardest. They are just determined to get a win and will do it anyway possible.

What do you think has been the biggest surprise this season?

I think Whitley have done a great job at turning things around. If you look at where they were last season to what they are doing now is quite an achievement. Also, I didn’t expect Telford and Solihull to be doing as well as they are. It’s good for the league as you have eight teams who could be in the top four instead of the usual four to five teams.

You are also on Braehead Clan’s roster. How do you think, or hope, this will impact on your career in the long run? Are you aiming for Elite League ice hockey?

To be honest, I haven’t been up [to Braehead]. It’s nice to know if they had an injury, or were short on players, I would get a call up. I would love to try to take hockey as far as I could but it’s hard when you’re tied to a job Monday to Friday. I’m not ruling it out though; just have to find a way to make it work!

You’ve had a few fights this season, after all, you’re not nicknamed Ross ‘the Boss’ Murray for nothing. Which was your favourite scrap and why?

I’ve had a few I enjoyed. The first fight back in the country against Watson in Whitley. It was a good, old-fashioned fight where two boys square off and go punch for punch; none of this grabbing each other and keeping helmets on. My other favourite was against a good lad, Danny Mawer from Sheffield, when I caught him with one punch and he went down. It’s all just fun and games!

Solway have also entered into the NIHL North Cup this season. How have you found that?

It’s good. It’s nice to get a few extra games. I don’t like the format this year that much. It could do with more teams and, I’m not sure, but I don’t think there is a final this year. But when it’s extra games, you can’t complain.

What are your hopes for Solway for the remainder of the season?

To get the playoffs and win them. It’s going to be hard work but that’s where we should be. I plan on getting there!


Thank you to Ross for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment