Wednesday 20 January 2016

Team Talk

TEAM TALK
Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

A great name in British Ice Hockey, Canadian import Andre Payette is one of Whitley Warriors’ most experienced players. Here’s how the former Elite League star has found life in the NIHL this season:

David Longstaff and yourself have had a huge impact on Whitley Warriors’ ice hockey club this season. Do you think the new additions to Whitley’s roster have been the key to the Warriors’ success this season?

David Longstaff is very experienced. He has played in Sweden and the North East has a great passion for ice hockey which goes back to the days of the Newcastle Vipers. We’re working with a great group of lads who’ve really come together and that’s down to David Longstaff’s ability as a no-nonsense coach.

What has been your highlight of the season so far?

The reception in the North East has been overwhelming. A lot of fans from our Newcastle Viper days have come to Whitley Bay to watch the sport. There is so much support out there for us. It’s crazy.

What has been your greatest disappointment?

I’m 39 and I’m not the player I was when I was 30 but we’re having a great season. I don’t think there has really been a disappointment this season. We’ve got a lot of good young players, like Callum Queenan, Kyle Hindmarsh-Ross, learning a lot from David Longstaff. I think he’s not the same standard of coach that they’re used to; he has a lot of experience and they can take a lot from that.

You’ve taken a step down from EPL ice hockey to play in the NIHL. Has it been what you expected?

I didn’t really know what to expect. The crowd support is fantastic and Whitley Bay is a big ice hockey community. People are excited about ice hockey and it hasn’t taken as long as I expected to get more people interested in the sport.

Who have you enjoyed working alongside most for the Warriors?

Dave Holland, our Bench Coach. I know him from my time at Newcastle Vipers so it has been good to work with him again and old team mates, Richie Lawson, Jamie Tinsley and Dean Holland, but the whole group has been great. They’re a great group of lads. Barnesy [Jordan Barnes] and [Shaun] Kippin are strong personalities in the dressing room. It’s been more fun this season. I’ve stepped down from coaching which is nice because that’s not my job anymore, I don’t have that responsibility and I can leave that side of things to David Longstaff.

Who has been the most challenging player you’ve faced this season?

[Hesitation…] I’d probably have to say Perry Doyle. He’s tough to face because he’s left-handed and he can cause some damage from a fighting point of view but, other than that, I don’t really think I’ve found anyone particularly challenging to play against this season.

You’ve taken on a defensive role with the Warriors. How have you found playing on the blue line?

It’s been a wonderful experience. As a 39 year old, it brings me satisfaction to play deep. I’m never going to play in the NHL now so I’m happy with my new position. What I really like about our Warriors team is that team comes first, it’s not all individual accolades and it’s been great to play in a new position and also learn things that as a coach I wouldn’t look at the defenceman in the same way. Now that I’ve played most positions, I’ll have a better grasp of what I want my defenceman to do when I do coach again.

You’re very involved in off-ice operations, promoting the club when you can and running a hockey school. Has this been rewarding?

I had an active role with the Vipers in sponsorship and I did everything for the Sheffield Steeldogs. I actually organise advertising boards for the ice rink, not just for the Warriors, but for the rink. It’s been great, a new role in sales, and I think Whitley Bay Ice Rink looks a lot better for it. A lot of businesses have come back to the ice rink and it’s made Whitley Bay look a lot better. I’ve really enjoyed that part of it. The hockey school was always something that me and David wanted to do from the start. I ran them in Canada and I ran the Steeldogs’ Schools for the last five years. It’s just a way for us to spend a lot of time with kids in our community. It’s been great because the kids get to know you and you get to know them and they want to come and watch all the hockey games because they know Longstaff and we’re the coaches of the hockey school. I think we’ve really enjoyed it and it’s been a great success so far.

And finally, what are your hopes for the future?

Just to continue being involved in the game that Ive known my whole life and I hope that I can manage to stay in it for the rest of my working life.

Thank you to Andre for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.

For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.



No comments:

Post a Comment