Friday 2 November 2018

Team Talk



Career Clippings

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson

Solway Sharks’ defenceman Josh Grieveson discusses his introduction to ice hockey, playing in America’s USHS and his development in the Elite League… 

As you were born in Harrogate, how did you become involved in ice hockey in Scotland?

My family moved up to Dumfries when I was three so I was introduced to ice hockey up here. I started skating lessons in Dumfries and fairly quickly moved into the learn-to-play programme before joining the junior club. Growing up, I watched the Sharks play pretty much every weekend so those players at the time were who I really looked up to. As far as NHL players go, I’ve always been a big Duncan Keith fan.


What was your experience of playing in America’s USHS for Northwood Prep and how was it to be named captain for Middlesex Black Bears?

My time in the States is something I’ll always be grateful for. It was a great experience and gave me the chance to grow, not only as a player but also as a person. Northwood Prep provided me with great academic opportunities which I’m equally as grateful for. Whenever you’re given a leadership role on a team, it’s a privilege, and a role which I really enjoyed with Middlesex. Junior hockey over there is much further on. The biggest draw for me was the way their academics intertwined with their athletic programmes. I like the student-athlete platform that prep schools provide.


What did you learn from playing in the EIHL with Dundee Stars and Braehead Clan, and what was it like to play on a two-way contract last season?

I learnt a lot from my time in the Elite League, especially from the older, veteran guys. You pick up on lots of small things while just being around them and watching them play. I enjoyed my time at both clubs for different reasons; both gave me a great experience of professional hockey. The two-way contract with Solway last year was good for me. It gave me a chance to get some valuable ice time when I wasn’t getting as much at Braehead.



For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        





No comments:

Post a Comment