Saturday 16 December 2017

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson
Having made the transition from recreational ice hockey to the NIHL, Warrior Niall Simpson sheds light on his decision to trial for Whitley, his changing role at the club and why his first goal for the Hillheads outfit meant a lot…

So far, what has been your highlight of the season, what has disappointed you most and what has been your funniest moment?

The highlight of this season for me isn’t a particular moment, but rather it is proving that we can compete with any team in the league. We have had results not go our way against some of the bigger teams; however, we’ve competed very well against them all. My greatest disappointment so far is injuring my knee. I felt I was improving every week and this is an annoying setback. All players go through it at some point but watching from the stands is horrible. The funniest moment of the season for me is watching Phil Edgar be extremely ill during the photoshoot with the sponsors. His dedication to the team was displayed on this occasion as he nursed a big hangover and had to put up with Richie Lawson’s questionable driving alongside taking photos with numerous sponsors. Good on you, Eggie! Another key mention must go to Dan (Skippy’s young’un) who comes into the dressing room after most games and gives us hilarious, blunt comments about our performance.

You joined Whitley Warriors last season after playing recreational ice hockey and icing for Northumbria Kings in the BUIHA. What led to your decision to play for the Warriors, how did you find the transition to the NIHL and what aspects did you find most challenging in your first season with the team?

I’ve always wanted to play for the Warriors since watching them from the age of six but I started ice hockey pretty late (17 years old) and never thought it would be realistic. However, a few years of training in copious amounts (5-6 times on ice each week) led me to trial out for the Warriors during the 2016 summer and I was lucky enough to be kept on. The transition is huge; every aspect of the game is faster than at university and recreation level. The aspect I found most challenging was keeping up to speed in regards to skating with other players. It is still something I need to work on but I feel I’m slowly getting there.

What was it that attracted you to ice hockey over other sports and which player inspired you when you were growing up?

I’ve always been attracted to ice hockey over other sports due to its speed, intensity and uniqueness. I wasn’t involved in playing ice hockey as a child but I followed the Warriors and the Vipers when I was growing up. I wouldn’t say any player particularly inspired me but I really enjoyed watching physical players such Milan Lucic.

Besides making the transition to the NIHL, you have also experienced various roles within Whitley’s setup, first starting out in defence and now frequenting in a more offensive role. What is the reason for this, how have you found the variation in your position on the ice and which do you prefer?

I initially trialled for the Warriors as a defenceman and played for a small amount of time in that role. However, the coaches believed I was better suited to playing forward. The variation at first was tough as I hadn’t much experience within that position but I’ve come to prefer playing forward as I find it to be less pressure.

What is it like to be part of Whitley’s dressing room, what have you learnt about your teammates since joining the club and have they given you any advice?

Being part of Whitley’s dressing room is great as I can listen to all the hilarious stories from the past but you’ve also got to be on guard. The lads will take the mick out of you for anything so it’s best to limit those opportunities! The coaches give me specific hockey advice every week but, as a whole, my teammates have taught me to enjoy hockey whilst always giving 100%.

How did it feel to score your first goal for the Warriors against Blackburn Hawks last season?

It was more relief than anything. I wanted to get my first points out of the way so it wasn’t playing on my mind. The best part about scoring was that it was assisted by David Longstaff. I’ve watched Lobby for years and knowing he is a British ice hockey legend made his assist special for me.

You have gained additional ice time this campaign. What do you make of your progress, what do you believe to be your strengths and are there any aspects of your game that you set out to work on at the start of the season?

My progress was slow at first but I believe I have had a decent season so far and the extra game time this year has helped me speed up my progress. I believe my main strength is working hard but I would like to improve on my skating significantly as it’s a part of my game which lets me down. Anybody willing to give me skating lessons, please offer your services.

So far, who is the trickiest opposition you have faced this season?

The trickiest opposition we have faced this year is Telford. They’re a very good team with lots of experience behind them. Many of their players have played professional hockey for numerous seasons and their knowledge of the game makes it hard to play against them.

What are your hopes for the future, both for Whitley and for yourself this season, and where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

My hopes for Whitley this year are to get to the playoffs and go from there as we’ve proven we can compete with any team. For myself, I’d like to improve on my skating and get some more ice time. In five years’ time I’d like to see myself as an established third line player with perhaps a role on the penalty kill.


Thank you to Niall Simpson for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.



For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        



No comments:

Post a Comment