Saturday 4 November 2017

Team Talk

TEAM TALK

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson
Making his debut in British ice hockey this season, Solway Sharks’ Czech defenceman Marek Charvát discusses life in Dumfries, his ice hockey ambitions and what surprises him most about the NIHL…

What have been the highs and lows of your season so far?

I think it’s early to talk about the highlight because we have played just ten games so far. The disappointment for me can be the games that we had in our hands but we were not able to push through, whether it was the game in Whitley Bay or Blackburn where we made unnecessary mistakes and lost the match.

Is there anything about ice hockey in the NIHL which initially surprised you?

I’m just surprised by the rule about the import players; that we cannot play together.

How does ice hockey in Britain compare to how the sport is played in the Czech Republic and what impact did ice hockey have on your childhood?

It’s difficult to compare because in the Czech Republic hockey is one of the most popular sports. Hockey in the Czech Republic has a better quality but I am surprised by the level of the NIHL. I would say the league level is between Czech 2 and Czech 3; it depends on the team we play against. I started playing hockey when I was four years old and I am still enjoying my time on the ice. It’s the best job I’ve ever had.

Your youth team was HC Vitkovice where you progressed from the Under 16s team to the Under 20s side, whilst also featuring in four games with Czech 3 team, HC Frydek-Mistek. What was your experience of youth ice hockey and how was it to ice in Czech 3?

I played for HC Vitkovice since I was four years old until the juniors and it’s a great organisation with lots of professionals and personalities who mean a lot in hockey. It was not a good experience in Frydek-Mistek for me because the Czech Under 20s were at a better level than Czech 3 during that season, I think.

What made you want to travel to America to play for Oklahoma City Junior Blazers in the season that followed and what was your experience of playing in the WSHL?

My dream always was to play in North America and when I had a chance, I did it. I enjoyed the North American style of hockey and life in the USA and I also met great people. It was a really good experience, not only in hockey but also in life.

You then journeyed to Poland to play for JKH GKS Jastrzebie where you picked up eleven points in thirty one games. Did you enjoy your time in Poland, do you have an interest in travelling the world through ice hockey and, if so, where else in the world would you like to play the sport?

Yes, I did it but the main reason I chose Poland was that I could come home and finish school. I definitely have an interest in travelling the world through ice hockey and I would like to play in North America once again.

Leaving Poland for Dumfries, what was it that made you want to sign for the Sharks over the summer and what did you know about the club before you made the switch to Solway?

My agent was in touch with a team from the top league here but they did not agree finally. I still had a few offers but my friend [Jan Fisera], who played for the Sharks a few years ago, told me about the organisation and convinced me.

How have you settled in to life in Dumfries and what have you learnt about your new team mates so far?

I have not seen the whole town and surroundings yet but, from what I’ve seen so far, Dumfries is a pretty town with friendly people. I think I have settled into the team very well. The guys are very friendly and great people. It’s definitely beneficial to have Vas [Vaclav Kolarik]; he’s a great guy and a great hockey player also.

In your opinion, what is the toughest game Solway have faced in the opening weeks of the season?

The toughest game we have faced so far was definitely the game in Billingham we won in overtime. It was a really tough game with playoff parameters.

So far, you have six goals and two assists from eleven league games. Is your points production what you hoped for now that we are two months into the season and did you set yourself any personal targets at the beginning of this campaign?

I’m glad to get some points. It can always be better, ha, ha! But for me, as a defenceman, the points are not so important. My personal target is just to do my best to help the team and enjoy every game. Points will come with good performances.

What are your hopes for Solway for the remainder of the season and what do you hope for your future in the sport?

My hopes for Solway are that we will fight for the championship once again. I hope I will be successful in hockey, travel the world and meet great people and also make friends for life.


Thank you to Marek Charvát for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.

For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        


No comments:

Post a Comment