Saturday 7 January 2017

Team Talk

Team Talk

Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson
Now in his sixth season with Solway Sharks, hardworking forward Joe Coulter discusses the key to his team’s success, the reason he chose ice hockey and why the NIHL continues to go from strength to strength…

What has been your highlight of the season so far and if there was one thing that you would change, what would it be?

We’ve played a lot of good games so far this season but the one that sticks out for me would be coming back from a few goals behind and beating Billingham in overtime. All the guys stuck together and simply refused to be defeated. Looking at our start to the season, I don’t think any of us would change anything. It’s obviously been working for us. If it wasn’t for the loss at home to Blackburn in the cup and away at Billingham in the league, we would have a perfect record in all competitions right now but I feel like those games were a blessing in disguise. They reminded all the guys how much we hate losing.

You’re in your sixth season with Solway Sharks. In that time, you’ve accumulated fifty four points but you are continuing to gain ice time and are steadily improving your points production each season. How does it feel to be one of Solway’s most valuable players at present, have you seen an improvement in your own game in recent seasons and what would you say is the one part of your game that you would like to improve?

That makes me sound old! I can see the improvements myself for sure. I mean we still have twenty odd games left and I already have more points than last season! I appreciate all the ice time that I get. It helps you get into the game a lot more when you’re playing against other teams’ top lines; it really shows that the coaching staff have faith in you. About 95% of my points are assists so my biggest strength is definitely playing on a line with guys that can put the puck in the net. On the flip side, I really need to learn how to shoot.

What do you feel has been the key to Solway’s success this campaign, having had such a difficult start at the beginning of last season?

The way we see it is you either win or you learn and we have done a lot of learning over the last few seasons. I think the key to our success is a combination of last season’s guys stepping up, the new signings adding depth to the team and everyone executing the systems and style of play that the coaching staff want from us. The defence are consistently solid and the offence has three lines full of speed and skill, all equally as dangerous as the other and there are no passengers.

What do you think Solway’s new signings bring to the team and how have they settled in to life in Dumfries?

There is no doubt that the new guys give us more options to break other teams down. Almost every game we are outshooting the opponents two to one, sometimes three to one, and most games we are only one or two goals away from a clean sheet. They bring a variety of skill and various experience to our outfit and they have all played their own part in our successful campaign so far. I get the impression that all the guys love it here. All the guys get along and you couldn’t ask for a better atmosphere in the dressing room.
 
As the season progresses, there have been several surprises in NIHL North. What do you think has been the greatest shock in the Moralee Conference so far?

I suppose from a fan’s point of view, game night must be pretty exciting because you literally have no idea what way it’s going to go but I don’t find any of the results surprising because there aren’t any teams that should be getting beat every game. I did think some of the teams nearer the bottom of the league table would be higher and vice versa but there are still plenty of games to be played.

Solway Sharks appear to be a very close knit group of players. Is there anyone in particular who you are good friends with and does this help when it comes to playing alongside them on the ice?

It’s easy to play alongside any of the lads but I’m sure my line mates Duncan Speirsy [Speirs] and Ross Murray would want a special mention. We are all good friends outside of the rink so I guess it helps when you’re on the ice that you are playing for your mates and it makes it more fun for sure!

Within Solway’s dressing room, there are a mix of personalities. If you had to hand out awards for best leader, biggest joker, most intellectual, most skilled and greatest asset, who would win?

Obviously Struan wears the C on his jersey and I think he does a fine job. The biggest joker is definitely Steven Moore; always on the wind up and always goes too far. Most intellectual is Marc Fowley. I’m sure he’s a scientist. Most skilled is a tough one, probably Juraj Senko but he’s had like forty years more practice than me! The greatest assets in the dressing room have to be the kit managers Sconie and Scooter. The water is nice and cold the majority of the time.

What effect did the signing of Rick Bentham and his swift departure have on team morale as a whole?

I get along well with Bentham and I think he’s a very skilled hockey player but I don’t believe that one individual can win or lose games for you. When he left, it was just business as usual for us.

In recent seasons, there has been much discussion around the growing budgets of clubs in the NIHL. Do you believe there to be greater investment in clubs at this level and what do you think this says about how the league has developed over the last few years?

Each year the league is proving to be more and more competitive so if you want to win games then you have to look at strengthening your squad by bringing guys in. We are lucky enough in Solway to have a great junior set up that has been developing some top-end youngsters which probably saves the club a fortune, having so many home grown players icing each week. When you look through each team’s roster, you see tons of guys with EPL and some Elite League experience which they are bringing into the Moralee Conference. On top of that, you have one or two imports who also have various skills and experience that they can add into the league so the standard of hockey has definitely increased and I think this is a pattern that NIHL fans will continue to see each season. All this added experience, plus the strong coaching staff across all of the teams, have contributed greatly to the development of the league and has been a huge factor in teams finding their own identity and style of play that can attract more fans, sponsorship and, of course, win games.

What effect did playing junior hockey for Solway Sharks' Under 18s setup, whilst also icing in the SNL, have on your development as a player?

The calibre of the two leagues were never outstanding but I always had fun. I was just playing hockey with the guys I grew up with. I guess I should be grateful for all that extra ice time as it let me work on my own skills whilst trying to get a spot on the Sharks’ roster.

How does the SNL differ from the NIHL and if you could change anything about either league, what would it be?

The NIHL has a good structure. The teams themselves are packed with both experienced and young, promising players, plus the coaching staff across the league are very educated in the sport. To some degree, I think the SNL has some of these qualities but nowhere near to the same extent as the NIHL. I wouldn’t change much about the NIHL and I’d take up far too much of your time telling you how I’d improve the SNL.

What made you want to play ice hockey, what do you enjoy most about the sport and are there any downsides to the busy ice hockey schedule?

One of my mates played hockey and I came along to watch one of his games and I was hooked instantly! I enjoy the different adrenaline rushes you get when you’re playing from scoring goals, big hits, blocking shots and winning games! The only downside is the busy schedule. More often than not, family and friends will have an event on and I’m forever telling them I can’t make it but I never miss any come the off season.

If you could play for any other team anywhere in the world which team would you choose and why? Are there any other leagues you’d like to experience?

I’d like to play for a team in a city that has good weather all year round! I’d love to play abroad in some different countries, somewhere out of my comfort zone but no leagues specifically spring to mind.

If you could bring a former Shark back to Solway, who would it be and why?

I think I’d bring back Mark Gallagher. Gally’s definitely the best team player to put a Sharks’ jersey on and lead the club to a lot of silverware. I reckon he’s got a few seasons left in him!

Who is your all-time favourite ice hockey player and why?

When I was a kid, I just wanted to be able to play like Mike Modano. I just enjoyed watching him play the game with so much speed! So, when I first got asked what number I wanted as a kid, I picked 9 and I've kept it ever since.

Do you ever set yourself personal aims at the beginning of the season, do you have any ambition to develop your ice hockey career further and where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

I don’t really have any personal aims, statistically or anything like that. I just try to work hard both ways on the ice every game and do whatever helps us get the win. I definitely want to develop my own game. It’s human nature that everyone wants to get better at what they do and it’s the same for my career. In five years’ time, I can still see myself in a Sharks jersey with plenty of league titles under my belt.


Thank you to Joe Coulter for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        

No comments:

Post a Comment