Saturday 19 November 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk
Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson
Switching the EPL for the National Ice Hockey League, Star Jack Watkins reveals his career highlights, the former team mates he’d like to bring to Billingham and the personal goals he’s yet to achieve…

What has been your highlight of the season so far and, if there was one moment you could change, what would it be?

My highlight was beating the Warriors in their rink. That was a pretty good feeling. I’d change our game against Solway at home when we gave up the lead and lost in overtime.

You are one of Billingham Stars’ newest signings. How does it feel to be part of the team and how are you finding life on Teesside?

It’s awesome. We have a great bunch of guys in the locker room. I’m enjoying playing for the Stars. A few results haven’t gone the way we would have liked but we are playing well as a team.

You’ve managed to get your name on the score sheet a few times already and you’ve created goals too. How do you feel about the opening games of your season in terms of points production and do you expect this to be one of your best yet, given the start you’ve had?

I feel good so far. I’ve never really got a lot of points so it’s nice to start contributing to the score sheet. I hope it’s my best season points wise but I’d take winning the league and the team doing well rather than my own points and performance.

Billingham find themselves in second place with fourteen points in the Moralee Conference. What do you make of the mixed results the Stars have experienced so far and why do you think form has fluctuated?

We’ve been unlucky in a few games not to come away with the win. It’s frustrating when things don’t go our way but that’s hockey and we just have to keep battling on. We just switch off for a couple of minutes and concede a couple of goals. When this happens against a good team like Solway, it’s hard to come back from!

What do you think are the team’s aims at present with over two months of the season played?

To win a trophy; we have a good enough team to achieve that goal so it’s down to us.

Over the years, you’ve played for several clubs in the Elite League, becoming an EIHL champion with Coventry Blaze in their 2009-10 campaign. How did your experiences in the Elite League vary between clubs, which did you enjoy playing for most and why?

It helped me a lot. Playing and training with more experienced players will improve anyone. I was lucky enough to play for Paul Thompson at Coventry who helped with all aspects of my game. I enjoyed my time at every team so it’s really hard to pick one over the other!

How does the standard in the EPL compare to the NIHL?

The EPL is a much harder league to play in. You have a lot less time on the puck and the general speed of the game is quicker. Also, with the EIHL upping the imports, it means Brits have to move down to the EPL. It’s a very good league and it’s only getting better! The NIHL is still a good league, don’t get me wrong, but there is a big difference between NIHL and EPL.

In your 2010-11 season, you became alternate captain of Great Britain’s Under 18s outfit. How did it feel to play on the international stage and to fulfil this role for your country?

It was amazing. Such an honour and something you dream about growing up playing junior hockey. It’s something I will never forget.

Do you have any pre-match superstitions, rituals or routines that you stick to ahead of playing ice hockey?

Personally, I don’t have many superstitions. I’ve played with guys in the past who couldn’t play hockey unless they prepared a certain way. For me, the only one I’m conscious about is towards the end of the national anthem I have my own little routine.

Of the one hundred and four goals you’ve scored in your ice hockey career, which is your favourite?

My favourite goal was my first ever Elite League goal against the Panthers. I’ll never forget that. 

As a child, who was your favourite ice hockey player and why?

My favourite player for me growing up was Mario Lemieux; his hands were unbelievable.

If you could bring just one of your former team mates from any club to Billingham, who would it be and why?

That’s tough; if I could, I’d bring them all. Hockey is a sport where you rarely come across a bad team mate. I really couldn’t choose just one. Jordan Cownie, Lewis Hook and Tristan Harper; I stayed good mates with these guys! Maybe Bobby Chamberlain because I know he’ll be reading this and I don’t want him moaning at me over a text!

Who do you think Billingham’s greatest assets have been so far?

I believe we have a strong team this season. We have the best netminding duo in the league and the best imports. It’s hard to choose just one name.

From the games you’ve experienced in the NIHL to date, which team do you feel has been the most challenging to play?

Definitely the Sharks; they are a strong team who are well coached. They are always hard to play!

The Stars have two very talented imports on their roster. What is it like to work alongside Dennis Boström and Daniel Palmebjörk and how do their styles differ from that of the British players in the team?

It’s easy to play alongside Dan. He rarely makes any mistakes and gives 100% every shift. As for Dennis, if you get the puck to him then, nine times out of ten, it’s going in the net. They are players who have been brought in to do a job and they do it well.

Billingham were NIHL North Cup champions last season. Do you think the Stars can hold onto their title this campaign and what do you make of the competition at present?

I think we stand a chance at winning if we can figure out a way to beat Solway!

In terms of your ice hockey career, is there anything that you’d still like to achieve or that you’re aiming for?

Personally, I’d like to get fifty points in a season. That would be nice. I’d like to score a goal against my older brother Joe as well but he’s retired so that’s a hard one!

What are your hopes for Billingham for the remainder of the season and where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

I think we stand a good chance at winning the league this season so that has to be our aim as a team. Five years’ time, I see myself on a beach somewhere after winning the lottery!

But you’d miss the ice…?

Of course I would! I love the game. I will continue to play as long as I can. It would be nice to play either EPL or EIHL again but I can see myself at Billingham for a while now.


Thank you to Jack Watkins for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        

No comments:

Post a Comment