Wednesday 19 October 2016

Team Talk

Team Talk


Photo Credit: IceHockeyMedia - Colin Lawson
At the forefront of Whitley’s battles since first appearing for his local ice hockey club in 2009, Warrior Jordan Barnes talks team mates, tough opponents and battling Andre Payette in training…

What has been your highlight of the season so far and if there was one moment you could change, what would it be?

Scoring my break away against Billingham and I’m very positive, so I wouldn’t change anything.

Were you surprised by the success of Whitley Warriors last season, following the team’s battle to remain in the Moralee Conference in 2015?

No, not really. I knew we had a good team. We just needed some guidance and we all worked hard.

So far the Warriors have three league points.  What do you make of the league so far and why do you think Whitley are finding it difficult to put points on the board, having performed so well last season?

It’s simple. Other teams have spent a lot of money on imports and we have not. We have lost speed and we have not been able to replace it. Also, we had a slow start because we did not have any pre-season games which is massive when other teams have played two to three games before the season has even started. It gives them a massive advantage but we are doing well at the minute and that’s all that matters.

Your passion on the ice is always visible but it seems to be more so in Whitley Warriors’ opening games this season. Do you feel that you are playing at your best at present, having already placed some points on the board?

Yeah, I feel that I have had a good start to the season. I always said that I wanted to get more points. I don’t want to be one-dimensional by just fighting. I find when I concentrate on playing, I’m more effective and if I need to fight, I will do so but I’m not going to be skating around, trying to challenge people to take my mind off the game.

As a power forward, you are no stranger to dropping the gloves. Who would you say your top three favourite fights were against and why?

I enjoyed fighting Witter [Reece Cairney-Witter] and, last August when we played a friendly against Kirkcaldy Kestrels, I had two fights. I also fought some guy called Payette in training at the end of last season. That was fun but I don’t get the name One-Bomb for nothing!

Who is the strongest opponent you’ve faced in a fight?

When I was nineteen, I had a fight against Jake Nurse. He was a heavy lump. He must have thrown about thirty punches. I got lucky when I hit him and cut him but he was big.

Many of the other players who’ve taken part in ‘Team Talk’ have suggested that you are a bit of a joker. What impact do you feel you have in the dressing room?

I just like a laugh. I’m always having banter with Andre which is funny because he bites but I just try to keep the mood light and try not to let anyone get down. After all, we are a family so you’ve got to stick up and be there for each other.

Which of your team mates do you get along with best and why?

Well, my best mate is Josh Maddock but all the lads are great. Skippy [Shaun Kippin] and DJ [Good] and Watto [Callum Watson]. I virtually lived with Watto and DJ a few years back. Great guys.

What are your first memories of ice hockey?

My first memories were when I was really young, watching Mike Rowe take a penalty shot and I was sitting under the scoreboard with my Dad.

Growing up, who was your favourite ice hockey player and why?

This is going to sound cheesy but it was Lobby [David Longstaff]. My Dad always used to watch the Warriors and, when I was a baby, I had a Warriors jumper my Nana knit with 25 on the back. Ha, ha! My sister has it now. I’ll probably get rinsed for this!

So far in your ice hockey career, you have been coached by Simon Leach, Garry Dowd and David Longstaff. How do their coaching styles compare?

Everyone was different. I think I have learned the most from Lobby as a coach but that’s not taking anything away from Leachy and Dowdy. I just think I’m older now and probably take more in, and the fact that Lobby has played at the highest level means he knows what he is on about.

Which season has been your favourite in a Warriors’ jersey to date and which do you feel has been the worst?

My worst was probably last year. Points wise, it was not so good as that was the first year playing after missing a year because of knee surgery. My best year I hope is going to be this year if I keep working hard.

If you could bring one former Warrior back to Hillheads, who would it be and why?

I couldn’t only bring one back but if I had to, it would probably be Dale Howey. Unreal defenceman.

How did it feel to be named as home alternate captain alongside Andre Payette last season?

It was probably my proudest moment as a player. I loved it and, with a player like Payette alongside me, it was an honour really.

What is it like to play alongside Payette? What type of character is he and just how influential is he in Whitley’s dressing room?

He has obviously got a lot of experience but, to be honest, he is just one of the lads. I like to wind him up but we get on great. He is funny too.

What impact do you think the increase in imports has had on the NIHL in recent seasons and in what ways do you feel the league has changed over the years, for better or worse?

It has definitely got a lot better with imports coming in and I think also with the lads taking it a lot more seriously. Obviously, with training and off-ice work, people are quicker and fitter so the pace of the game has gone up in the league as well. I think it’s a lot better.

Which NIHL team do you feel is one to watch out for this season and why?

Solway. They are quick on the transition and they run four lines which keeps them fresh all game but I also feel that we will surprise people.

In your opinion, who is the strongest opposition player in NIHL North?

You get to know a lot of lads through just playing against them year after year. I can’t really tell you who it’s hard to play against because every team has got stand out players.

What do you make of Whitley’s decision to enter into the NIHL North Cup this season and how have you found those games?

I personally think it wasn’t a good decision for many reasons but I suppose the extra games will help us.

What do you feel Whitley’s aims are this campaign and do you feel that the Warriors have what it takes to start picking up the points to turn their season around?

Well, I think if we can make the top four, that would be great for us but we will have to work hard every night.

What are your hopes for Whitley for the remainder of the season and where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

I hope we make playoffs and, in five years’ time, as long as my family are all fit and well, I don’t mind what I’m doing. Hopefully, I’m still playing.

Thank you to Jordan Barnes for taking the time to be interviewed by NIHL Northern Trio.


For more photos from IceHockeyMedia, please visit: http://www.icehockeymedia.co.uk/.        


No comments:

Post a Comment